There are days when the sun shines bright and all's right with the world! When folks walk around with smiles on their faces, and and expect to see a rainbow in the clear blue sky.
But when life seems gloomy and the sky is overcast, and everything seems to be going wrong, there is that one person who kicks up his heels and vows to smile, and make others smile as well. He is the eternal optimist, and a pleasure to be around.
Who is the perfectly happy man? There is a story that comes to mind about a king who, in spite of having everything in the world, was still not happy. Umpteen medicine men tried to bring a smile on his face, but failed. The king grew more and more morose, till finally one doctor examined him, and declared, "The king will be happy if he wears the shirt of a happy man!"
Messengers were sent across the land to look for a happy man. They searched high and low, but it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. There were men who appeared happy, but the moment they delved closer, they realized that these men too had their own problems. Finally, they espied a man who appeared genuinely happy. He laughed and smiled, and spread happiness around.
The man laughed in sheer good humour, and they could not help smiling back at him.
"But good Sirs, I haven't a shirt on my back to give your king!" he said, his eyes twinkling. And that is when they realized the truth. This man who seemed to be the cheeriest soul on earth, did not even have a shirt he could call his own.
The king summoned the man and rewarded him generously. "My dear friend, you have opened my eyes!" he said. "Happiness does not depend on material things, but on your own attitude!" He strove to be like the man without a shirt, and soon found that the world was a much better place.
There is a beautiful message going around on Whatsapp that talks about how to bring optimism and positivity into your lives.
1. Open the windows and allow fresh air and sunshine in.
2. Declutter and throw out old unwanted things.
3. Leave your footwear outside, or at the entrance of your house so that negative energy does not enter the house.
4. Walk barefoot at home so that all your negative energy is absorbed by the earth.
5. Sweep away the negative energy with the dirt in your house.
6. Go for walks, and be alone with nature to re energize yourself.
7. Mop your floors with a fistful of rock salt mixed with water to remove every trace of negative energy.
8. Soak your feet or bathe in water mixed with rock salt to cleanse your body of negative energy.
9. Let chants or prayers increase positive vibrations. Keep your house well lit, and your thoughts and speech free of negativity. Keep potted plants at home.
I have two points I would like to add here.
10. Be optimistic at all times, have faith in a higher power and confidence in yourself.
11. Do not harm others knowingly, for whatever you give will come back to you, or to your children, in some way or the other.
Om Shanti Om