A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME (TALES OF INCLUSIVITY) #Blogchatter #WriteAPageADay

                                             
                                                                             Pinterest.com

Shakespeare certainly had the right idea in ‘Romeo and Juliet’ when he wrote

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose /By any other name would smell as sweet.”

How wonderful the words sound when rolled around the tongue! This quote has become one of the most popular ones of all times, with people throwing it casually into a conversation that revolves around names.

However, I have had my reservations about the quote from the time people began misspelling my name. My name is a simple one – DEEPTI – nothing more, nothing less. One would have assumed that there was no way to get it wrong.

Deepthi, Deepthy, Dethpi, Deputy, Dipti, Tipsy (the last was by a tiny Nursery child in school!) – the list could go on and on. The main reason for these variations is the barrier caused by the sweeping Vindhyas. Folks up North do not use the ‘h’ in names – Vidya, Sumati, Geeta, Deepti… you get the gist? Hence, people who come from the South to the North frequently get their names misspelt, the reason being that Jayashree turns to Jayasri, Seetha to Sita and Gayathri to Gayatri.

Thus, I have an entire community that call me Deepthi, and let me tell you that it does not sound like me at all. When I was born, my parents gave me my name because it was a Bengali word and rather uncommon at the time. This was followed by two other Bengali names when my sisters came into the world – Neelima and Bhavana… but luckily, their names remained untouched. Except that Neelima herself cut her name short to Neema, which again had no scope of being cut into anything further. Hopefully!

Maybe that is the whole idea behind parents using pet names for their children. So, a whole generation of children in Kerala were called Kannan, Unni, Ammu, Babu, Omana and the like.

Up North, pet names were more akin to Pinky, Silky, Laajo, Happy, Chotu, Gudiya, Chintu, Love and Joy! It would take an effort to get their spellings wrong, in any case.

I still remember one visit when we had all come to Kerala for our summer vacations. One particularly perspicacious aunt wanted to know my name. When I told her my name, she turned to my mother with a frown. “Couldn’t you have chosen a name that sounds less like a stone being thrown into a bucket?” That was, indeed, a novel way of looking at it, I guess.

As for Neema and Bhavana, the more pious of our relatives did hint that, probably, it would have been better to name them after the many goddesses who reign in the heavens above.

Of course, there is a totally different take to that as well. When my better half was a child, he was so mischievous that his mother would keep calling out his name, ‘Gopi’ in a fit of anger. One of their neighbours in the Delhi flat that they lived in came over one day after he had been sent to school with much difficulty. She said, rolling her expressive eyes, “Mrs. Menon, if only you had called your son ‘Krishna’ or ‘Vishnu’, you would have been in the happy situation of attaining ‘moksha’. Imagine taking the name of God so often!”

The world is seeing a sea change in the way parents name their children now. Today, the beautiful old names are seeing a comeback – Hemambika, Mahalakshmi, Damayanti, Saraswati, Othenan, Anjana, Abhimanyu, Ghanshyam, Pradnya, Shambhavi and so on. However, I do tremble to think of the myriad spelling combinations that could evolve from names as complicated as these.

Finally, there are folks who watch movies and get inspired by the names of the beautiful actors on the silver screen. I know of people in my family who, after watching the movie ‘Kabhi Kabhi’ and watching Raakhee as the stunning Pooja Khanna, named their daughter ‘Pooja’. She has grown to be a lovely girl.

Some names for girls that have come up through popular movies are Aditi, Anjali, Jhanvi, Kiara, Mandira, Natasha, Pia, Samaira, Sanjana and Zooni. In my own family we have names like Priyanka, Fiza, Avantika, Ananya, Maanya, Nayantara, Nitara, Karthika, Dhaatri and Zoya, all of whom symbolise their names in so many lovely ways.

Boys’ names are not far behind. Aarush, Aditya, Kartik, Rehaan, Siddharth, Surya… all these names and many others also have become extremely popular after their filmi characters. And in my family? We do have such unusual names like Prajod, Manav, Ujjwal, Aayush, Nihar, Kunaal, Karun, Rishi and Samir (with an ‘I’).

And to end with a quote I love...

 

                                                                      Pinterest.com

 Word Count: 785

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clouds and Waves by Rabindrananth Tagore - Poetry: The Best Words in the Best Order - #BlogchatterA2ZChallenge2021

THE STRANGE CASE OF THE MISSING TEETH

The Miracle of Love - Fiction - Post Number 8: #MyFriendAlexa