MOMS-IN-LOVE – (TALES OF INCLUSIVITY) #Blogchatter #WriteAPageADay

 
                                                                       Moms-in-love

                                                      Photo Credits: Deepti Menon

February 1984 was a landmark year in our lives, the year we got married. As they say, in India, one marries not just the boy but his entire family, and vice versa. My husband was suddenly hurled into a family of all women… my grandmother, my mother, my two sisters, and of course, me! Even the pet at home was Coffee, a rather belligerent female! Or was it Tansi, a cocker spaniel with gnarled hair and a snarly temperament to match?

Anyway, my grandfather was the only male in the house, and since he had spent years and years with the ‘girls’, he did not really find it irksome, unlike my husband who was not really used to so many women in the house. Besides, his mom-in-love and he had only begun to realise that they were equally hard nuts to crack.

It was a different life for me as well. I had never lived in any other house but my mother’s, and now I was spending time in a new house, with a brand-new family… my husband’s parents, his sister and her husband and their little girl. They welcomed me with open arms, and I felt quite at home with them.

The day I got married, I still recall getting into a car with my brand-new husband and leaving my mother and my sisters behind. Maybe that was the first time I realized that life had changed. It was an emotional moment and I had tears running down my cheeks. We were going to my husband’s home where I would be received with the traditional lamp and welcomed in.

When we got there, the house was swarming with relatives and there I was in my wedding finery, hot and flustered.

That was when the miracle took place. My mother-in-love, for that is what I call her introduced me to all the people around. Then she told me gently, but firmly, “Go and change out of your sari, wear something comfortable and go upstairs and sleep for a while.”

I was so taken aback that I just gaped at her. She smiled and gestured towards the staircase, and that is exactly what I did. I went upstairs, wore my comfortable jeans and knocked off to sleep.

Even today, I think of how understanding she was, and still is. I cannot think of anyone who would have said that to a brand-new bride.

Every year, our bond got stronger, as did my bond with the rest of the family – my erudite father-in-love with whom I had conversations on books and writing, my lovable and loquacious sister-in-love with whom I could discuss just about anything and her husband, my big brother with whom I formed a bond right from the start. Their little girl has grown before my very eyes, and today as she juggles a career and takes wonderful care of her husband and her two sons, my heart swells with pride.

Much later in life, my mom-in-love and I even started resembling each other, as we are both short and are blessed(!) with round faces. One day, as we were out somewhere, she ran into an acquaintance who asked her if I was her daughter. Pat came her reply, “Yes, my daughter. Married to my son!”

Today, at the age of 90, she prefers to remain at home. We call her the ‘YouTube Rani’ because she can spend hours watching religious discourses on her tablet, while watching a serial on television and answering phone calls at the same time. We let her do whatever she feels like doing because she has earned her right to do so, after slogging for years and living her life for others.

We talk on the phone every two days, and I try and visit her as often as I can. It is said that marriages are made in Heaven, and in my case, I have a special bonus as well… my wonderful mom-in-love!

What is even more heartwarming is the bond that both my moms share… when younger, my mom-in-love would visit my mom, and after lunch, they would go upstairs and gorge on chocolates and laugh together. Or my mom would go over to their house and spend time chatting. It was as though the two families had extended themselves into one happy family.

Today, we are all older, maybe wiser (!), and the families have grown. My husband, the eldest son-in-love in my family, has not only got used to all the women in the family, but is no longer the sole male around. Now he has two co-brothers as well, and when they get together, along with all the women and children, the noise and the laughter levels have to be seen, or rather heard, to be believed. Many of their jokes centre around their mom-in-love, who is one of her kind because God broke the mould after he created her!

After all, they do say that a family that laughs together, stays together! 

My prayer to the Almighty is to keep these two wonderful moms happy and healthy always! Amen!

 

                                                              Laughing Together!

                                                Photo Credits: Deepti Menon

Word Count: 857


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clouds and Waves by Rabindrananth Tagore - Poetry: The Best Words in the Best Order - #BlogchatterA2ZChallenge2021

THE STRANGE CASE OF THE MISSING TEETH

The Miracle of Love - Fiction - Post Number 8: #MyFriendAlexa