TIME TO ADJUST ONE’S SAILS!

 "Well, we have a whole new year ahead of us. And wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all be a little more gentle with each other, a little more loving, and have a little more empathy, and maybe next year at this time we'd like each other a little more." Judy Garland

Every year brings new challenges with it, doesn’t it? Do we run about like headless chickens, trying to solve them all or do we work our way through, one step at a time? 

"Maybe this year, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives, not looking for flaws, but looking for potential." Ellen Goodman

 Despite my hectic professional schedule, running a household with the help of an extremely supportive better half, and of course, my multifarious writing projects, I still managed to smile through it all, mainly because I loved everything I was doing. Isn’t that the key to enjoying life? Doing what you love?

On the one hand, I had taken over as the Director of my mother's school on January 1st, and it was a task rife with challenges especially after two long years of COVID-19. Being with young ones made it all worth it, and the feeling of being able to make positive changes, however small, made me smile at the end of the day. In fact, one quote that keeps me going is by BB King.

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”

                                                                        Canva

Of course, my days ended long after midnight, when I sat down to finish my writing tasks. The #Blogchatter #WriteAPageADay and the BlogchatterAToZChallenge2022 were tough but satisfying as they made me sit down and write every single day to create a body of work that I could look back upon with pride. The second challenge was turned into an e-book which I christened ‘Literary Characters with Character – (Pun Intended!)’ I also put together an anthology of Shakespearean tales for children, replete with illustrations by some amazing young artists, and hope that it will soon see the light of day.

BlogchattereBookCarnival

2022 found me rekindling my poetry genes and writing poems for vibrant writing groups like Chrysanthemum Chronicles, Readomania and Soul Craft. My pieces found their space in anthologies like Songs of a Mermaid, Remnants of Loss, Unkahi: The Unsung, The Aniconic Cosmic Dancer and Lockdown – Tales from the Pandemic Era.

Published by Chrysanthemum Chronicles

                                                                 
                                                   Published by Readomania

                                            Published by Chrysanthemum Chronicles

An Anthology of Poems from the Armed Forces

Published by Writermelon

When my blog ‘Deep Ties’ (no points for guessing where that name came from!) found a place in the Directory of Best Indian Blogs in English 2022 Edition for the second time running, I was delighted.
Winning prizes is always gratifying and when both my stories submitted to The Story Cabinet won prizes, it made me want to dance. My first story was adjudged the Overall winner in the Monsoon contest and won me a cash prize which I promptly converted into buying the books I had been yearning to read.


Two wonderful books which landed up on my desk were On Writing by Stephen King and Steering The Craft by Ursula K. Le Guin, courtesy Bookswagon.com, both books I had been itching to lay my hands on.

 

The one cloud on my horizon was when Amazon suddenly woke up one morning and banned all my book reviews. They gave me no reason, sensible or otherwise. Since I had been writing reviews for over a decade, it hit me hard. I did fight but realised that I was up against AI minions with neither the acumen nor the emotions to understand the anguish of a dedicated writer. After months of protests and struggling through my social media campaign which I called #GoliathtomyDavid, the wonderful Himalayan Writing Retreat group, whom I want to thank from the bottom of my heart, came to my rescue by highlighting my ‘Amazonian’ issue.

https://www.himalayanwritingretreat.com/behind-the-amazon-reviews-in-india/

20th August 2022 was a red-letter day, the day when I was able to pay a public tribute to my mother, Mrs. Nalini Chandran, who has spent a lifetime in the field of education, apart from having founded a school which will turn 45 in 2023. Ms. Kalpana Ramesh, a close friend and erstwhile teacher in our school, and I burnt the midnight oil, putting this tome together and we were thrilled and relieved when it was finally done. Logos Books, Pattambi, published the book for us, and were extremely pleasant to work with. ‘Defying Destiny: Nalini Chandran – A Life Sketch’ was launched at an event that saw many luminaries attend and applaud.

                                             Deepti Menon and Kalpana Ramesh
                                           Published by Logos Books, Pattambi

I have always maintained that I am a thriller writer, but even I didn’t realise that I would slip into the horror genre, until I turned into the Guest Editor for a graphic horror anthology titled ‘The Abandoned House Horror’ published by Chrysanthemum Chronicles. The coffee table anthology has just come out, and its graphics and content are certainly going to give its readers sleepless nights and the heebie-jeebies!

Guest Editor: Deepti Menon
Published by Chrysanthemum Chronicles

I also did my usual Christmas reading, taking a passage from ‘How The Grinch Stole Christmas’, a tale that I have always loved.

https://www.facebook.com/deepti.menon.98/videos/204208506266457

 “It seems like everything sleeps in winter, but it’s really a time of renewal and reflection.”

 Elizabeth Camden

Lessons I have learnt over the year:

a.     Do things in mini doses without making grandiose resolutions.

b.     Write, write, write with enjoyment, and edit with determination.

c.     Maintain relationships with friends, especially reader and writer mates.

d.    Keep myself alive on social media.

e.     Read for all I am worth, write reviews (forget Goliath)

f.      Make friends wherever I can, unless they lock their profiles against me!

g.     Keep my funny bone honed… never know where it may come in handy!

h.    Dedicate myself to whatever I do, be it reading, writing, speaking, administering and strive for almost perfection. Nothing in life is perfect.

i.      Accept the good with the bad – praise with criticism. Both help.

j.      Finally, accept that I am human. I can do what I can do, and leave the rest!

 That’s it, folks! Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. As Tiny Tim put it in ‘A Christmas Carol’ -

“God bless us, every one!”

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clouds and Waves by Rabindrananth Tagore - Poetry: The Best Words in the Best Order - #BlogchatterA2ZChallenge2021

THE STRANGE CASE OF THE MISSING TEETH

The Miracle of Love - Fiction - Post Number 8: #MyFriendAlexa