CHILDREN DO SAY THE CUTEST THINGS! #BLOGCHATTER #WRITEAPAGEADAY

                                                                        Amazon.in

Being a teacher and educationist is often the best kind of life one can lead! It is a calling that keeps one young, physically and mentally. Every day brings a new kind of learning, sometimes tender, at other times funny, often fraught with anxiety and fulfilment, sometimes both at the same time.

This afternoon, when I was doing my usual rounds in school, peeping into classes, keeping an eye out for unusual sights and talking to teachers and children whom I encountered along the way, I suddenly paused before a classroom. It was the 5th standard and the door was shut. However, there was a little chappie who stood outside with a strange expression on his face. He did not seem particularly upset about being there, but the moment he caught sight of me, he straightened up, a hint of alarm in his expressive eyes.

“What are you doing outside, young man?” I stopped to ask. “What period are you missing?”

“Music period, Ma’am,” came the prompt reply.

“And why are you outside?”

“Ma’am, we were rehearsing a prayer song. I have a big voice and the others have small voices. So, Sir sent me outside.”

I hastened to enlighten him on the difference between ‘big’ and ‘loud’. The next question was trembling on my lips.

“Are you sure that you were sent out only because you sang loudly? Did you do anything naughty?”

“No, Ma’am. I didn’t do anything.”

He looked the picture of innocence. I nodded, and strolled on to the next class. However, I couldn’t resist going back because I was feeling rather sorry for our young champion.

His eyes widened when he saw me coming up to him again.

“Tell me, child, why were you singing so loudly?”

He paused for a split second and then answered, “Ma’am, it is a prayer song. If I don’t sing loudly, how will God hear me?”

The moment held its breath. I did, too. I stared at him in genuine astonishment, an involuntary smile spreading over my face. He stared back at me, and below the mask, I could see the trepidation in his eyes change to one of slight embarrassment, and then a twinkle appeared.

                                                               QuoteHD.com

I knocked on the door of the classroom and listened to what the teacher had to say. As I had expected, our little friend had done more than just sung loudly.

“He is very naughty, Ma’am. He was disturbing the others,” the teacher explained to me. “I sent him out for five minutes to teach him a lesson.”

I bent closer to the young one who looked back at me solemnly.

“Do you know that God is not far away up in the heavens? You do not really have to sing so loudly. God is there in the wall right next to you. Even if you whisper, He will hear you.”

                                                             Quote Master

We smiled at each other, and as I walked away, I felt all over again that I was in the right place at the right time. I silently blessed that little boy for having made my day brighter with his opportune comment.  

Children do say the most heart-warming things!

                                                                VinceGowman.com

533 words

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clouds and Waves by Rabindrananth Tagore - Poetry: The Best Words in the Best Order - #BlogchatterA2ZChallenge2021

THE STRANGE CASE OF THE MISSING TEETH

The Miracle of Love - Fiction - Post Number 8: #MyFriendAlexa