FRIENDS FOREVER - #WRITEAPAGEADAY #BLOGCHATTER

 
Pinterest

The breeze blew, lifting the hair off the nape of my neck as I stood at my balcony, watching the last of the crowd disperse on the street below. Stores had begun closing, shutters half down, as pedestrians made their way to and fro, apparently relieved that another long day was over. It was then that I thought I heard a soft knock at the front door.

I turned back, and looked at the clock that was ticking away, unperturbed, in the bedroom. I could just about read the time from the balcony... eleven fifteen.

The knock came again, a little louder this time. I peered over the balcony, but there was no one there. My front door was hidden from view, and I had no intention of toppling over the edge for an extra look. Who could it be at that hour? I certainly had no intention of going downstairs to check. Living alone had its advantages, but opening the front door close to midnight was not one of them.

The street below was empty apart from a few homeless folk, huddled into dim shapes on the pavements. These people disappeared during the day, but returned promptly as dusk fell. Each had his own spot, and they were rather territorial about them too, bickering over them especially if a new vagrant landed up.

This time the knock was louder. I needed to go downstairs, but I still had no intention of opening the door unless I knew who it was at this odd hour.

The breeze still blew, and the curtains in the sitting room moved as though they were dancing in the moonlight. At the front door, I peered through the peep hole and saw a familiar figure outside. It was Rohan, my neighbour and also a good friend from way before.

I threw the door open, and Rohan smiled, though a trace of annoyance lingered on his face.

“Does one have to break the door down to catch your attention?” he remarked with a hint of sarcasm.

“There is something called a mobile phone, you know?” I answered pertly. “Why on earth didn’t you bother to call me?”

“I wanted to surprise you, Mona!” he smiled, holding out a package wrapped with shiny red paper. I took it gingerly, aware of the many pranks Rohan had played on me while we were growing up. It was difficult to take him seriously.

“Ro, what on earth is in this?” I shook it vigorously, as he flinched away, which made me even more apprehensive.

“It isn’t a bomb, is it?”

“Don’t be silly! You think I would stand here if I had gifted you a bomb?”

That, of course, made sense. However, memories stirred within my mind of all the gifts he had surprised, rather shocked me with.

A pair of plastic lizards which made me scream, a jack-in-the-box which made me almost jump out of my skin, a beautifully wrapped skull… all these and more had been thrust on me by my good pal, Rohan!

This time, I was wiser.

“I refuse to open this ‘gift’, Ro! I do not trust you one bit. I cannot risk my weak heart anymore.”

“Weak heart, my foot!” snorted Rohan. “You are the most hard-hearted creature I have ever come across!” He paused, and then said theatrically,

“Oh, dear Mona, please open this gift of mine. You will not have reason to distrust me ever again.”

His posturing made me smile. I whacked him lightly on his head with the gift and sat down on the sofa. He promptly sat beside me.

“Now that’s like a good girl. Open it up, pronto!” His eyes twinkled in the dimness of the muted light.

I pulled at the silken ribbon and took my time unwrapping the square box as Rohan waited, tapping his foot on the floor in impatience. He had always hated the amount of time I took to unwrap gifts without tearing the wrapping paper.

I opened the box and peered within. It was a book. I brought it closer to my face and gasped. It was a book that I had always wanted to buy, but had never been able to afford.

“Oh, Ro, that’s so sweet of you. Thank you ever so much.” I hugged him in delight.

Rohan hugged me back, as he remarked, “Mona, there is another gift under that.” He pointed to a tiny box that nestled under the book.

“Why are you feeling so generous today, Ro?” I laughed, even as I lifted the lid of the smaller box. My words suddenly dried up, as I gazed down at the beautiful ruby ring that sparkled within. I took it out reverently, and turned to Rohan, a question in my eyes. Rohan’s eyes were aglow with a strange expression, one that made my heart skip a beat. Never ever had I seen him look at me thus.

“Mona, please hold out your hand,” Rohan said, his face turning slightly red.

I did as he asked, and he gently slid the ring onto my finger, as he whispered into my ear, “Mona, I love you. I have always done so.”

My heart was racing as I struggled to control the emotions which threatened to engulf me. All these years, when Rohan and I had played pranks on each other, I had always been aware of how I felt about him. My vulnerable heart had been his ever since I had known him. I could not believe that he too had felt the same about me.

“Mona?” I could see the uncertainty in his eyes as he waited for me to respond to his words.

I turned to him, my heart in my eyes as I looked at his loved face.

“Ro, I love this ring almost as much as I love you, have always loved you.”

His face reddened further, his eyes turned moist as he took in the words that were so unexpected.

We sat, gazing at each other with new eyes.  As we moved closer to each other, the breeze continued to blow gustily outside.

Neither of us knew when friendship had turned to love, but this moment would be one we would remember all our lives.

 I am participating in the #Blogchatter #WriteAPageADay Challenge.

1044 words

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clouds and Waves by Rabindrananth Tagore - Poetry: The Best Words in the Best Order - #BlogchatterA2ZChallenge2021

THE STRANGE CASE OF THE MISSING TEETH

The Miracle of Love - Fiction - Post Number 8: #MyFriendAlexa