THE CRYSTAL BALL - #WRITEAPAGEADAY #BLOGCHATTER

 
Unsplash

The psychic gazed at the crystal ball before her. Her eyes were meditative.

“Child, you need to break out of your old life and move on. I see a big house filled with emptiness.”

Elena clasped her hands together, dreading what was to come next. The psychic did not disappoint her. She peered into the crystal ball, her beautiful face pensive. She lifted her head and continued,

“I see a tall man. He is attractive but there is a dark aura about him. He is not what he seems.” Her forehead constricted as she whispered,

“You may be in danger.”

Elena’s eyes widened in alarm. She had had a few suspicions about Ryan that had kept her up at night. Now this woman seemed to be hinting at danger as well.

“Why am I in danger?” she asked in desperation.

“The man has fallen out of love with you. He feels that you are an obstacle in his path to success.” She smiled sadly, pausing to look at the pretty girl who sat before her, downcast.

“What should I do? I do not want him to leave me. Is there someone else?” she asked softly.

The psychic gazed at the crystal ball again.

“I cannot see anyone because the future is hazy. The dark aura indicates that you need to get out of this relationship before it is too late.” She breathed heavily, and suddenly stood up, pushing her chair back with a jerk.

“Danger! I see blood, and violence and death! Beware! Get rid of him! NOW!” Her voice rose to a scream and Elena shuddered. She hurriedly got up, placed a few coins on the table and rushed out of the dim room, her thoughts awhirl.

It was ten minutes later when the psychic stood up, tidied her hair and called out softly.

“You can come out now. She has gone.”

The tall dark man came out of her bedroom, a grin on his attractive face.

“You played that well, my dear. What an actress you are! Crystal ball and all!”

He held her around her slender waist and twirled her around, humming a merry tune.

“Now all I need to do is wait till she makes up her mind to leave me. I have sold her a sob story about being penniless and how I am a millstone around her neck. Last night, she was so upset to hear of my pitiful plight that she signed a substantial cheque in my name.” He laughed sardonically. “Little fool! It is so easy to hoodwink her.”

She shushed him with a finger.

“Don’t be overconfident. What if she gets to know about us?”

“Well, you scotched that idea, didn’t you, by suggesting that the crystal ball was hazy. She is too much of an innocent to realise that you and I are together. By the time she does, I would have got a few more huge cheques out of her and then you and I will disappear.”

That evening Elena and Ryan were at dinner when his phone rang. Elena watched him as he spoke to the person at the other end, his face turning pale as the conversation continued.

“Now look here, I do not have that kind of money. There is no way I can earn it as well.” He paused, and listened to the other person.
“I am sorry. You will have to do what you like. No, I cannot sponge off my wife. I have some self-respect, after all.” He cut the call, his face pale and set.

“What’s the matter, Ryan?”

“Nothing, my love! Just a case of some money I owe to someone. Don’t worry your pretty head over it.”

Elena nodded and continued eating. Ryan glanced at her. She did not seem upset in the least. He needed to add a hint of drama to the situation,

“Well, this man says he will hurt me if I don’t pay him his money. When I told him to go ahead, he threatened to hurt you. That really hit me hard, you know.”

Elena smiled at him. “Ryan, I can take care of myself. In fact, I went to a psychic today who told me that I should leave you. Much as that would break my heart, I feel that I should heed her words. In fact, she told me that I was in danger if I continued to live with you.”

‘Oh, my darling, I cannot think of life without you,” Ryan said, pulling her up from her chair towards him.

Elena slipped out of his arms. She moved away from him.

“Ryan, that psychic was specific. I need to stay away from you. Hence, you need to pack your belongings and move out by evening.”

Ryan gaped at her, mystified. For once he was at a loss for words.

“Elena, how can you say that? You know how much I adore you. You are my life.” He stretched his hand towards her, but she remained unmoved.

Ryan’s mind was churning. What had happened to his gentle Elena? There was a firmness in her eyes that he had never seen before. Where would he go? He was dependent on her for all his needs and expenses.

Elena smiled at him, aware of the confusion in his mind. It was time to put him out of his misery.

“You know, today when I went to the psychic, I had no idea what I was going to do. She helped me to make up my mind. She is very good at what she does. She had almost convinced me of the danger I was in, and she kept gazing at her crystal ball. As I looked on, I saw a reflection in the side of the ball … that of a man who appeared familiar because I knew him as well as I know myself. I peeked into what appeared to be her bedroom and I caught a quick glimpse of you there.”

Ryan’s mouth fell open. The next moment, he went on his knees and began to bluster, trying to prove his innocence. Elena shook her head, and he fell silent, aware that he had made the biggest mistake of his life.

“Ryan, you have till evening to move out. Good luck and goodbye!”

As she strode away, head held high, Ryan sank into a chair, holding his head in despair.

At the door, she turned around once more.

“I have stopped payment on the cheque I gave you last night. Now if you need money, you will have to look into a crystal ball!”

 I am participating in the February #Blogchatter #WriteAPageADay Challenge.

1104 words

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clouds and Waves by Rabindrananth Tagore - Poetry: The Best Words in the Best Order - #BlogchatterA2ZChallenge2021

THE STRANGE CASE OF THE MISSING TEETH

The Miracle of Love - Fiction - Post Number 8: #MyFriendAlexa